With the last day of Women’s History Month upon us, we wanted to take a second to highlight a few of the most innovative Women CIOs in the United States today. They represent a small sample of women executives – making up the minority in the technology sector – transforming IT departments across the country. The three women that we’ve chosen to highlight are working on major projects and technology transformations as well as overseeing a budget of close to half a billion dollars collectively.
- Aura Moore, Interim CIO, LAX
- Serena Sacks, CIO, Fulton County Schools
- Jenean Blackmon, CIO, McLeod Regional Medical Center
Please Note: This is an editorialized list and is in no way inclusive of all of the amazing women CIOs leading today’s top IT organizations.
Interim Chief Information Officer – Los Angeles World Airports
What makes the Los Angeles World Airports (LAX) Interesting and Innovative:
LAX is the largest airport in the country in terms of the number of passengers beginning or ending their trips there (Atlanta is biggest if passengers making connections are included).
A little bit about Aura:
Formerly the Deputy Chief Information Officer, Aura is now serving as Interim Chief Information Officer for Los Angeles World Airports where she is leading IT capital improvement and systems development projects valued at $100M. In addition, she is overseeing all of the operations and physical security maintenance at the airport as well as the business and airport operational systems.
The recently opened Tom Bradley International Terminal at LAX pioneered the implementation of immersive media in the international airport space. The Integrated Environmental Media System (IEMS) has been described as ‘eye-popping’, ‘a pioneering project’, ‘breathtaking’ and ‘a stunning success’ in various reports. The IEMS is a frontier project that merges an IT-based audio-visual system with terminal architecture to produce an extraordinary and captivating passenger experience.
Some Projects Aura and her team have been working on:
- Working with Ross & Baruzzini on several IT, communications, and information security projects
- Initiating data center consolidation, including the implementation of converged server, communications, and data infrastructure with high availability
- Implementing common-use self-service kiosks in its Tom Bradley International Terminal to improve passenger check-in as well as implementing Automated Passport Control (APC) at LAX Federal Inspection Service (FIS) areas
- Building out LAX Terminal IT rooms to enable network coverage throughout passenger terminals
- Developing a backup website of www.lawa.com to enable communications in the event of an emergency
- Evaluating potential vehicle tracking, passenger flow monitoring, and beacon technologies for pilot testing in Fiscal Year 2016
- Evaluating the expansion of enterprise document management with OpenText including the integration with Maximo, Microsoft SharePoint & Prolog applications, the implementation of City Attorney workflow & record retention, and the deployment of a viewer to include GIS and engineering file formatting
- Enhancing its IBM Maximo facilities management application to include mobility and integration across ARCC processes, GIS applications, SAP, OpenText and fleet management applications
Chief Information Officer – Fulton County Schools
What makes Fulton County Schools Interesting and Innovative:
Fulton has 11,500 full-time employees, including 7,500 teachers and other certified personnel. These employees work in 99 schools and 15 administrative and support buildings with approximately 94,000 students – which rivals many Fortune 1000 companies for number of constituents supported and served by the IT department.
A little bit about Serena:
Serena has been a business and information technology leader for more than 25 years across corporate, non-profit, and government sectors. Today, she runs all of the technology needs of the 100-plus schools in Fulton County.
She recently led the district in upgrading the infrastructure and network in all district schools, implementing a new data center, and moving IT functions from 11 satellite offices to two central ones. She also has managed the successful technology integration in six new schools and in 30 renovated ones.
In addition, Serena has led the process to select mobile devices that support the district’s personalized-learning focus, developed a new three-year IT strategic plan, launched an IT governance council, improved information security by creating more access controls and an awareness program, integrated a new VOIP phone system to all schools and administrative buildings, and implemented Microsoft Office 365, which moved all Microsoft software and email to the Cloud.
Upgrades also have been made to the district’s student information, human resources, and finance systems and throughout the school system with roughly 5,000 teachers receiving refreshed or new personal computers.
Some projects Serena and her team have been working on:
- Selecting mobile devices to support personalized learning initiatives
- Integrating new Voice Over IP (VOIP) phone systems throughout all schools
- Implementing Microsoft Office 365 throughout all schools
- Creating an IT Governance strategy
- Upgrading all infrastructure including new data center implementation at all schools and 11 satellite offices
Chief Information Officer – McLeod Regional Medical Center
What makes McLeod Regional Medical Center Interesting and Innovative:
Based in South Carolina, McLeod Regional Medical Center has been at the forefront of technology and, specifically, modern technology within healthcare. In 2012, the health center rolled out one of the earliest versions of electronic health record management systems and has since continued to innovate with regards to technology in medicine. The system includes close to 2,000 hospital beds, 650 physicians, and 1,600 nurses.
A little bit about Jenean:
Jenean has been Chief Information Officer of McLeod Regional Medical Center since 2006. In 2012, she brought in Cerner Soarian, a health care information system that offers a workflow-driven design and addresses the dynamic nature of patient care. In 2016, she has embarked on some very aggressive plans within the IT department of McLeod, including a contact center upgrade, upgraded data center infrastructure and storage, as well as server consolidation and virtualization.
Some projects Jenean and her team have been working on:
- Upgrading contact center solutions within the next 6 months (They are currently leveraging Customer Interaction Center Solutions by Interactive Intelligence.)
- Exploring virtual machine, energy saving, and SAN solutions to support data center operations
- Focusing on data center and server consolidation
- Implementing new Cloud Storage initiatives in the next 3 months
These women – like many others – have a significant impact on the success and efficiency of the organizations that they serve. They also have significant purchasing power and authority, making them of particular interest to technology vendors.
DiscoverOrg customers gain access to deep biographical and project related information like this on their target accounts and prospects before the competition. Imagine being armed with this level of detail on your prospects every time you walk into a meeting or pick up the phone. Subscribe to DiscoverOrg’s sales scoops to receive hot opportunities delivered to your inbox.
[cta id=”10573″ color=”blue” size=”full” align=”center”]